Sunday, April 10, 2011

New Recipe Saturday

Shepherd’s pie

Yes I am well aware its Sunday but I have a very good excuse, my beautiful children decided while I was cooking their dinner they would switch some keys on my computer so I couldn't even log on let alone blog. Thank you beautiful children.
So after some resetting and default settings (grr) set I am back to normal.
So this is what I'm cooking tonight with a few slight modifications. I'm going to puree the veg before I add it to the mix and I'll be adding more veg to it so no need for veg on the side. I do love a one pot dish.

Ingredients:


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
600g beef mince (we like heart-smart)
3 rashers short cut bacon, chopped
8 button mushrooms, wiped and halved
2 tablespoons tomato paste
400g can peeled tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
1 teaspoon dried oregano or mixed herbs
1 cup frozen peas

Potato mash
1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
50g butter
¼ cup milk
½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion and carrot for five minutes or until soft. Add the mince, bacon and mushrooms and cook for three minutes or until mince is browned. Stir through the tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and herbs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, then uncover, and simmer for a further 15 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the peas and cook for another couple of minutes.

To make the potato topping, boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain well and mash with butter, milk and parmesan.
Pour the meat mixture into a 1L capacity ovenproof dish and top with the mash. Bake for 35 minutes or until the potato topping is golden brown

I will be back later to tell you the verdict.

Recipe and picture from here

What are you cooking this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You like it? you love it? you dig it? Leave me a comment! You have something nasty to say? Take it elsewhere.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails